Gas Pump Skimming Alert
Many people will be traveling during the summer. The Florida Commissioner of Agriculture Adam H. Putnam had his department do a sweep of more than 6,000 gas stations in Florida and found 81 skimmers. The information from Florida accentuates the need for constant dilignece at home, as well as when traveling. While traveling and using your debit or credit card, use these precautions to protect your identity:
1. Be aware of your surroundings. In the case of the gas station:
- Lighting conditions around the station
- Condition of the gas pumps themselves
- Any signs of tampering or something out of place
2. Check to make sure the gas pump dispenser cabinet is closed and has not been tampered with. Many stations are now putting a piece of security tape over the cabinet to ensure it has not been opened by unauthorized individuals.
3. Use a gas pump closer to the front of the store.Thieves often place skimmers at the gas pumps farther away from the store so they are not noticed as quickly.
4. Monitor bank accounts regularly to spot any unauthorized charges.